Tuesday, December 9, 2014

OH Deer

As promised here is the post about the recent deer artwork that I made for our mantel. It is really an easy piece to make, and you can size it accordingly. Maybe make one for yourself and one as a gift, because faux deer heads are all the rave right now. :)

So here are the supplies that you will need:
  • A canvas, you can choose the size. Or I used scrap boards and painted them white, and had my husband attach them together from the back.
  • Pencil to sketch out your deer head
  • Paint color of your choice
  • Scrapbook paper
  • I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out the flower shapes and the Joyeux Noel. I use my machine often, it really comes in handy. Maybe if you don't' have one, you can ask Santa ;)
  • Paint brushes
  • Glue and double sided tape

I painted my boards white, if you are using a canvas, this is not necessary. Then I sketched a deer head on the board. I did this free handed, with a pencil and eraser. Feel free to look for a downloadable stencil if you do not feel comfortable just drawing by hand. Silhouette has some great designs to download. 
Once I felt like I had all my proportions correct, I then painted my deer gray. Feel free to paint your deer, whatever color will work with your decor.

Next I used my silhouette cameo to cut out the words Joyeux Noel. You can find that design here.
 I used good old Elmers glue to glue it to my board. Next I used my cameo again to cut out flowers in various colors. You can find that here. It made it so easy to cut and assemble the flowers, and I love paper flowers, you can get really creative with your colors, and they never need to be watered. ;)
 I used double sided tape to assemble the flowers into a crown on the head of the deer. It was really simple to do. And there you have it! My artwork is displayed on a mantel in our master bedroom. I really love the whimsy it adds.
Hope you feel inspired to make one for yourself. Happy Holidays, see you back here soon.
XO~Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by.