Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Plate rack design

Just wanted to share an idea that I recently implemented in my own home.  When my husband and I built our home several years ago, I insisted on having a plate rack built into a wall in my kitchen.  I knew we would have a blank wall, and instead of filling it up with some art, I wanted a place to display some of the pretty dishes that I love to collect.  Plus I felt like it would add the charm you might feel from an older home.  I feel that sometimes "new builds" lack that type of charm.  Attention to the details, is my motto when designing and decorating! :)

Here was the starting point, mind you it took a while to find the perfect wallpaper.  Up until I found the perfect wallpaper, I would fill my plate rack with an eclectic group of dishes.  


Instant gratification!  What a difference it already makes.  I love this toile wallpaper because it is has an aqua background, and the actual toile print is a taupe/gray color.  A lovely twist on the usual brown/blue combo.




VOILA'  There is the finished product.  Pictured above are a few of my favorite dishes that I think work well against the new wallpaper.  Usually we have to stash our special dishes away into a china cabinet, or hutch, but I think this is a nice way to display them so that you can enjoy them on a daily basis. :)


Here is the same wallpaper being used in a recent powder room I decorated for a client.  I would recommend using this wallpaper in smaller spaces.  If you are interested, the name of the book that the paper came from is belle fleur.
Hope you enjoy creating a special space in your nest!  I think this wallpaper would be great in the back of a bookcase too!  The possibilities are endless.
XO~Gretchen







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by.